Friday, November 26, 2010

Bloomin' bright

And right on time! How does a Thanksgiving cactus know when to bloom? Do they have calendars? But really, the first blossom opened on Thanksgiving day this year. How cool is that?



I recently learned that the Christmas cactus (Shlumbergia bridgesii) and the Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergia truncatus) are different plants. The Christmas cactus only has red blooms whereas the Thanksgiving cactus comes in a variety of colors, hybidized from the original S. truncatus.

I've dubbed this my "heirloom" cactus. Several years ago I potted together a plant from my mom, one from my mother-in-law, and one that I had rooted from a cutting given to me by a co-worker. My mom's plant has white blooms, but they haven't opened yet. Yeah, mom, you're late! Anyway,Tye will inherit it one day.

Stay healthy, cactus mine.

1 comment:

  1. OMG gorgeous!!! (And queers at the same time)
    Lol and I always think that cactus flowers are so much prettier 'cause they don't always bloom

    ReplyDelete