Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Out of Touch

Literally. I've not been blogging, emailing,  commenting, or communicating for quite a while. In fact, I haven't even been checking my emails. Finally, my hubby looked at my account and told me that I had an email from a friend who said "Contrary to popular belief, silence is not golden." He might be right, but I needed some down-time. My last post was a preach-a-thon and I haven't felt good about it. I apologize. My ego must have been on a rampage and I was not conscious (please see Eckhart Tolle's definition of consciousness.)

Actually, January was not my best month, so I decided to cut back on some activities and foods that seem to be seizure triggers. Scrolling on my computer is definitely one of those. The list also includes long phone conversations, chocolate (maybe), drinks containing aspartame (oh, no, not my Snapple!) and yes, playing piano. I'm trying to accept that last one, but I'm still not sure. I'll give myself a little more time and try again. Shouldn't I be able to play if I just play without any expectations and therefore, without stress? Hmmm . . . . I don't know if that even makes sense. I really didn't have any expectations to begin with. I just enjoy it. O.K., that's not honest. I expect to improve. I don't enjoy the dizzy spells that follow, though.

I'm trying to see that I'll have more time to pursue other endeavors if I don't spend all my spare time sitting on a piano bench. So far, I've reorganized my library and crocheted another afghan. I've been running  (interpret that as a slow jog) when physically able and I am making progress--running farther and longer than ever. Geez, this sounds so lame. I need a new and grand pursuit. Suggestions will be considered, so don't hold back.
Stormy and Gracie are pursuing their favorite pastime, searching for critters that run, crawl, or scurry along. They aren't choosy; if it moves, their interest is piqued.

I have read a few good books:

Color of the Sea by John Hamamura--Quite simply one of the most beautifully written novels I've had the pleasure to read in a long time, it follows the life of a Japanese boy from Japan to Hawaii to California and beyond, during peacetime and war.

Polio: An American Story by David Oshinsky--I was intrigued by the portrayal of American life in the early and mid 20th century, but more than that, I was amazed by the science. For me, the explanation of the development of killed versus live vaccines was well worth the read.

Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper--Hopefully, writing this was cathartic for Anderson. It is a sensitive account of his life, his growing pains, and his travels. Parts were hard to read (so emotional and disturbing), but the courage with which he reports on disasters, natural and political, is impressive and feeds our knowledge of the world in a way that few others can even attempt.

I've been living with The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I've read it twice, but now I just read a few lines  (or a few pages) before I go to sleep at night. It centers me and reminds me to stay in touch with myself. I am much happier with living, being, loving myself and everyone and thing around me because of this wonderful book.

Stay centered, stay loving.
Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment