Saturday, June 26, 2010

Unconditional love

The word "love" has been so abused and misused. Are humans really capable of unconditional love? Most of the love we hear about is the romantic variety based on need and narcissisism. That isn't love at all. If you feel an emptiness inside and want someone else to fill it, that isn't healthy. So often, we mistake our hunger for fulfillment as love for another person.

Meet Stormy.


He is love. All he wants is a daily walk, food, a chance to play and snuggle in my arms. If I neglect the first two, he'll still be happy to curl up beside me. I send love to him and it bounces right back to me. The act of creating love within myself fills me with so much joy. I said "He is love." Actually, I become love by giving it. I think so many of us have pets because we don't share this type of love with each other. We can.

We have to start by loving ourselves. Be quiet. Shut off your mind and just feel how truly wonderful you are. When you experience unconditional love for yourself, it expands outward to include everything in the universe. You can direct it to others, focus on our Mother Earth, on your healthy body and mind. Make
your thoughts reflect this love for yourself. Let go of negative attitudes and realize that anything is possible with real love.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Firstly, thank you so much for reading and for commenting the "Amar..." blog posts! It adds value to the whole stuff (there's always something we forget to say, or different opinions). I really love it!

    Secondly: wow! Your post about love is so absolutely right! And taking the example of Stormy (who is so very much adorable, by the way) couldn't be more perfect! You know, I have a dog too, a yorkshire, called Tião (short for the real name Sebastião), going to be five y.o. in december, and I tell you: he is like a little child to me. And the way he looks at us and follows us everywhere in the house, the way he hides behind our legs when he feels somehow threatened, his unconditional trust in us: he is the essence of love (one of the many shapes it can take, I mean).

    Well, congrats for your posts, and keep on writing! I know I'll be reading.

    Take care!
    Marcelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcelle,
    We used to breed Weimaraners, only one or two litters per year. We always made sure that our puppies went to loving homes and many of the "parents" sent us photos months and even years later. It was wonderful,but also scary and heartbreaking when we had a litter get sick. They all pulled through, but that was the last time we had puppies. It was just too stressful. We bought Stormy 2 years ago and found that his mother was one of our puppies. So, he's actually a "grandchild". Anyway, he's very small for a male Weimar. He only weighs 60 pounds. I know, he would seem to be a giant compared to your Yorkie. We have a female, Gracie, and she weighs over 90 pounds (only a litte overweight, she's just a nice, big girl.) These dogs are my children. My cat, Jade, is much more independent.

    Thanks for the comment. I just write about things that interest me and things that I want to remember. I'll keep visiting your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete