Sunday, April 4, 2010

Savannah Vacation



First, let me say that I was so impressed by the friendly atmosphere that pervades this town. Everyone seems to be smiling and ready to interact with others. Also, it is an extremely dog-friendly place. I could be entertained just watching the dogs on the sidewalks and in the parks. Unfortunately, I kept forgetting to bring my camera along, so I don't have any pics of downtown or Forsythe Park or Wormsloe Plantation. If you're in the mood for a woodland trek, uninterrupted except for the occasional deer or other wildlife, go to Wormsloe.



That's me and my son, Tye at Fort Pulaski. Tye was my host for this trip and he was a wonderful tour guide. We rode bikes around Fort Pulaski and it was great. My borrowed bike was too tall and I had some trouble with the dismount, but other than that small and sometimes embarrassing inconvenience, it was a fun time. I really wasn't embarrassed; I'm not sure if he was or not. If so, he was a good sport about it. We saw deer repeatedly while riding.

Yes, that is a moat. I'm amazed that there are no guardrails on the ground or even on top of the fort. They do have signs saying that it is not allowed to stand on the edge, but there's nothing to stop some adventurous soul. Note all the pockmarks along the wall.


There is also a small museum which is worth the time, but I took no photos. Actually, Tye was doing most of the camera work here.


Here we are at Oatland Island Wildlife Center and that is an opossum I'm holding. Her name is Daisy. She's old and crosseyed (due to fat pouches on her face) and she stays at their Welcome Center along with a pair of Screech Owls and a bunny. Most of the animals are in natural habitat settings--wolves, foxes, cougar, etc. Most of them have been named. I recently read that animals and plants respond more favorably and are healthier when someone takes the time to give them a name. Kudos to Oatland Wildlife Center!


This Sandhill Crane was hilarious. I don't know her/his name, but he kept running up to the walkway as if looking for a snack. When nobody offered anything, he'd get disgusted and wander off. Then, when a new person arrived, he'd run back over to try to solicit a treat. Or, maybe he just wanted some conversation. Perhaps, he wanted to complain about his roommate. I don't know. Could I anthropomorphize a little more? Sure, but I'll refrain.

It was a great trip. I've warned Tye not to invite me back again unless he means it, because I will come.

Happy days,
Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment